Saving when you do not have a Dime to Spare
The power of money is not how much we earn, but what we save.
Here are 10 painless ways to start saving:
- Start saving. Even if it is only 50 cents a week. You will have $25.00 by next year.
- Pick up money when you see it on the street and save it too. You will be amazed at how much you collect in the course of a year – probably $10.00 in pennies, nickels and dimes and quarters.
- Once you have enough money, open a savings account. Having a healthy relationship with a financial institution is the best way to gain wealth.
Write down every penny you spend every day; you can also keep track with a free app on your phone. Review your list. Choose one item that you can either do without or get cheaper. Then concentrate on making that one change (like never ordering anything but water when you eat out). When it becomes a steady habit, move on to something else.
- Have your paycheck direct deposited. Arrange for the bank to put $1.00 of each paycheck into your savings account – then forget it is there.
- Choose the store where you plan to grocery shop. Get their flier and plan your meals based on their advertised specials. That will limit your trips and that helps save money – gasoline too.
- File your taxes for free. Call 2-1-1 for a free tax preparation site near you.
- Buy store brands instead of name brands for anything. Try them all! You’re bound to find something that you like.
- Review your cell phone bill. Can you limit your usage? Are overage charges costing you money?
- Look at your cable bill. Need all those channels? Can you ditch cable for a streaming service?
If you would like additional information about saving, one of our financial coaches can help you create a long term savings plan. We are here to help.