Sales Tax Holiday Weekend
The “holiday” weekend begins Friday, August 4, 2017 at 12 a.m. and ends Sunday, August 6, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. During this week, the following items are exempt from sales tax:
- Clothing priced $75 or less per item
- School supplies priced at $20 or less per item
- School instructional material priced $20 or less per item
Going Back to College
Students living in apartments must complete three actions before moving out:
- Spot clean the apartment to get the security deposit back.
- Complete forwarding address papers with the Post Office and notify each creditor of the address change.
- Cancel the utilities and pay the final bill. Failing to do so or relying on a roommate to do it can lead to the student whose name is on the account racking up huge bills.
College Dorm Living
Helpful tips for outfitting your dorm room:
- Check with your school; many have restrictions on what students can and cannot bring to the dorms. Prices for some necessities: • Sheets, pillows, & comforter can add up to an average of $75 • Microwave average price is $45 • Mini refrigerators start at $65
- Students should talk to roommates regarding who is going to bring what items for the room.
- Purchase second hand items to save on some expenses.
- Consider creating college registries to get items gifted for the dorm room or apartment.
Black Friday Savings in July
Starting at 9 p.m. on July 10th – July 11th at 11:59 p.m. Amazon will kick off Prime Day, which is a yearly promotion in which Amazon slashes prices on a wide, variety of items for its Prime membership customers. Amazon promises this year will be no different than last year, with hundreds of thousands of deals for Prime members all over the globe.